Sunday, August 2, 2009

Getting back in the Swing of Things

This blog has been a little stale recently (well that is a bit of an understatement, it's really been completely dead). With the hope of bringing things back around and getting regular posts up I will start again.

The past 2 days have been exceptionally stressful and tiring as I made my journey from Longmont, CO to Meadville, PA. Originally the plan was for me to drive solo (well with my dog, Lucas) but at the last minute Shannon was an angel and decided to come with me as my driving companion only to fly back to Colorado immediately (she should be arriving momentarily at DIA) and then fly to Albany, NY and meet me again for my return trip. With this change of plans this meant that we would leave a day later and several hours later than originally planned.

Day 1: meet Shannon at work (roughly 4:30) drive one car to DIA parking lot and then get on the road with the ultimate goal of making it to Omaha, NE (500 miles away from our starting point). After many slight problems with leaving on time we finally were on the road and on our way. Though the drive was uneventful we arrived at our hotel in Omaha at roughly 2:30 in the morning completely worn out and then find the box with our key for our room wouldn't open with the code we were given. Fortunately the woman at the front was able to get us set up and into our room. After a beer and calming Lucas down (he has a hard time with hotels for some odd reason) we were able to get to sleep.

Day 2: woke up at 9 am. Though this seems late with the amount of sleep we got it was unfortunately ver early. However, with 900 miles left to go before we got to Meadville, PA we had to try and get on the road. By 10 we were loaded up and heading out only to find that no fast food restaurant was still serving breakfast. A couple handfuls of grapes, an apple, and some coffee and we kept on trucking (I am a firm believer in eating breakfast food for breakfast no matter what time of day it is, in fact breakfast food is my favorite food so I will readily eat it any time of day, but most importantly must consume it for breakfast). Once again this was only another uneventful day of driving across the middle of the United States. Once again we arrived in the early hours of the morning to promptly sit down for a beer before going to bed.

Now it is time for me to try and relax and keep me head straight for the upcoming races at Mount Snow and Windham. With fast and challenging courses these will be some of the toughest races of the year. Let's if all that time up at altitude will give me some sort of edge.


No comments: