Thursday, February 5, 2009

Getting sick on a rest week!?!

So this week was meant to be a rest week, thankfully, after my adventures last saturday with Spencer and Kate I really needed it! Mostly because after putting in those 2.5 extra hours on the bike my ride time for the week was 18 hours 45 mins. This is the second biggest week I have ever done on the bike in my 4 years of racing and training, the biggest only being 19 hours 5 mins. So, to say the least I was pretty burnt, though, still feeling strong as I headed out for a recovery ride on Sunday morning.

Well, things got worse. Shannon has been sick all weekend, so I was spending a lot of time taking care of her and nursing her back to health, which unfortunately coincided with a big block of training, meaning my immune system was very unhappy. Consequently, tuesday morning I woke up with a sore throat, ugh! Still went out for my ride on Tuesday, as it was only a sore throat and actually felt really strong, then....Wednesday morning the sore throat was gone but my nose was plugged, almost as if I had taken two wine bottle corks and shoved them up there. Once again I still went out for my ride, nice and easy hour of recovery. Felt ok on the bike. A little fuzzy in the head, but not like I was beaten down or anything and I was able to ride in the proper zones that my heart rate monitor told me with respect to perceived effort and cadence. Then this morning, ugh! Sore throat still gone, nose still plugged, now I have this obnoxious tickle in my throat that makes me cough every once in a while, arrrggggh! Don't think I am going to ride today!

While being sick though I have had time to experiment with new tasty healthy foods though, as I am doing everything in my power to make things better. First of these is Kombucha:This stuff is pretty awesome, by the way! I have only tried the gingerberry flavor and the trilogy flavors, but they are mighty tasty and very good for you.

The other thing that I have been consuming a fair share of is Naked fruit juices, primarily the B-Monster. This stuff is might tasty and gets all of those good for you anti-oxidants that come in blueberries, plus other great fruites added to, it makes me happy when I drink it.

I've also been drinking Odwalla's Green Machine, mmmmmmm...... This stuff is like syrup but sweet and tasty. I recommend that everyone gives it a shot!!!

In fact I recommend everyone give these three things a shot as well, they are so tasty, it is pretty much ridiculous!!

No comments: